Beginning language learners at the 1-3 word levels:
- Open containers for juice, fresh fruit, or frozen fruit.
- Wash fresh fruits separately to build in language opportunity (wash +fruit)
- Cut large fruits (such as watermelon) into chunks, or cut stems off of fruits, such as strawberries.
- Pour fruits into the blender and pour the smoothie into cups
For higher level language targets:
- Expose your child to higher level vocabulary- colander for washing fruits, blender, cutting board, etc.
- Talk about location of where you are pouring (i.e: in the blender, in the cup).
- Have the child tell someone else how they made the smoothie.
- Talk about possession- pour into Mom's cup, Dad's cup, etc.
- Predict the color of the smoothie- experiment with ingredients to make yellow smoothies, red smoothies, purple smoothies.